Purrs'n'Whiskers - The Cat Lovers' Guide To The Feline Universe

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ  Log in  WebsiteWebsite  

Defleeing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Yorkshirerose
Top Cat
Top Cat

PostSubject: Defleeing   Sat 05 Jun 2010, 08:56

Was wondering how people deflee their cats because we are having trouble.

We have recently noticed that Georgie was stratting alot so decided to deflee them both and the house.

We used the drops on the back of their neck (2 weeks ago) and sprayed the house, hoovered, washed covers, bedding etc. These are supposed to last for 4 weeks before you reapply.

Well yesterday we noticed her stratting again and Paul found flee poop on her fur . We didnt use the drops again but the spray and did the house again.

What else can we do to stop her from picking them up. By the way Jerry (who is the one who actually goes out of the garden doesnt seem to have them , but we did him too).
Back to top Go down
mrsmarple
Top Cat
Top Cat

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Sat 05 Jun 2010, 09:18

I haven't but I think by the state of my son's room, I may have to de flea him

Seriously, I think it's probably a good idea to deflea, strange that Jerry doesn't have them. Maybe Georgie is scratching because of the warm weather. Mine are shedding like crazy. I haven't seen any evidence, but will check my girls fur more closely.

I had a terrible problem in america with sand fleas (a very hardy and horrible kind) and had a regular exterminator. My ankles were constantly flea nipped. yuck.
Back to top Go down
gemini

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Sat 05 Jun 2010, 17:19

Which flea drops are you using Yorkshire Rose? I've never used the cheap supermarket ones because I've read they're not very good. I always buy Frontline. I get it online, though I noticed my local Asda is selling it now, and so is Pets at Home. I pay about £12 for a pack of 3 (think it's £14 at Asda).

They recommend you do your cats once a month, but that would work out FAR too expensive for me, having 5 cats! So I do my cats every couple of months in summer, and every 3 months in winter. And touch wood, none of them have ever had a flea problem.

So really I've never had to deal with a flea problem myself. Though when we first saw Sparky it was the day after he'd arrived at HAWT and he'd been covered in fleas. They'd doused him in flea powder.

Are you sure it's definitely fleas. Seems weird that they didn't both have them?
Back to top Go down
Yorkshirerose
Top Cat
Top Cat

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Sun 06 Jun 2010, 15:07

Ok we have been on a monster de-fleeing session today.

We couldnt use the drops on them again (something Martin ones, so might invest in the front line ones).
We smoke bombed (it stunk yuk) the upstairs of the house and then used powder downstairs. Then hoovered throughout.
We have sprayed the cats with the stuff and combed through with a lice comb. Jerry did have some he just obviously wasnt bothered by them.

Does anyone use flee collers. I am a bit wary as they say they can irritate them.
Back to top Go down
gemini

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Sun 06 Jun 2010, 18:39

Hope that solves your problem Yorkshire Rose. If I were you I would seriously consider using Frontline every couple of months.

I've never used flea collars for a couple of reasons. Firstly the Frontline keeps my cats flea-free, and secondly flea collars aren't pretty enough How sad am I???? But I do like to buy nice pretty (or masculine) collars!
Back to top Go down
Yorkshirerose
Top Cat
Top Cat

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Mon 07 Jun 2010, 15:30

Well dont think they are completely flee free as spotted another one on Jerry last night.

Rang vets up today and asked if they have any strong stuff. i have ordered some strnog drops which she said should be ok to use on them straight away and some sstrong stuff for the house but it means us been out for 2 hours until it is done. So monsters will be thrown out for a bit. Not as easy as with dogs as then you can just take for a walk.

Fingers crossed they will be fleeless monsters after that.

Grrrrrr.
Back to top Go down
gemini

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Mon 07 Jun 2010, 15:44

I ordered some Frontline from VetUK today. Cost me £19.39 for 6 pipettes, so will be doing all my cats on Wednesday evening!
Back to top Go down
Flower Girl
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Tue 08 Jun 2010, 16:22

I don't use any flea preparations as I'm highly sensitive to chemicals and just one spray can make me ill for hours.

Luckily the flower girls never seem to have fleas. If they were infested, then I'd have to get the vet to deflea them, or get hubby to do it and I'd have to stay away from the house for a day.

I did buy a flea trap - bulb and sticky paper invention - and it did trap lots of bugs, didn't see any fleas in it though as the girls don't seem to get them.
Back to top Go down
http://purrsnwhiskers.co.uk
gemini

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Tue 08 Jun 2010, 17:36

Flower Girl wrote:
I don't use any flea preparations as I'm highly sensitive to chemicals and just one spray can make me ill for hours.

Luckily the flower girls never seem to have fleas. If they were infested, then I'd have to get the vet to deflea them, or get hubby to do it and I'd have to stay away from the house for a day.

I did buy a flea trap - bulb and sticky paper invention - and it did trap lots of bugs, didn't see any fleas in it though as the girls don't seem to get them.

Lucky Flower Girls!! It's funny how some cats seem more prone to fleas than others!

I don't take any chances, so make sure I do them regularly.

How are Georgie and Jerry now Yorkshire Rose?
Back to top Go down
Yorkshirerose
Top Cat
Top Cat

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Wed 09 Jun 2010, 21:36

i think they are flee magnets . Although i do think it was Jerry that started it all.

We got this from the vets

http://www.medicanimal.com/product/~frontline-spot-on-for-cat/~product_id=411;jsessionid=2804814D5BC1E59AB35878106DE65A8E.jvm1

and some strong spray for the house.

We and the monsters need to be out of the house for 2 hours after we do it so we are going to do it on Saturday and waiting for then to put the spot on stuff on.

We have still been using the nit comb again on them every night and got a couple out of Jerry but none off of Georgie and we have been hoovering every day and spraying their bedding etc.

Hopefully this will get rid of them and the vet pretty much guarenteed it would. I hope it does for the cost £45 eeek . Although now i know the stuff they recommend iff it works i am going to buy it cheaper online.
Back to top Go down
gemini

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Thu 10 Jun 2010, 08:52

Frontline is great. How often did the vet say to use it? They recommend every month but I can't afford that so do it every 2 months in summer and 3 in winter. It's so easy to put on too - better than tablets. Good luck smile
Back to top Go down
Caz

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Thu 10 Jun 2010, 14:13

Hmmm I am not too happy with our Vet no

We always buy our flea drops from him but I noticed that there is a sign in the surgery now stating that if your cats have not seen the vet within the last 12 months they will not sell the flea drops to you .... and you need to make an appointment.

I know a lot of people who do not get yearly vaccinations etc, have healthy cats who have not needed to see a Vet and cannot now get drops to see off those darn fleas angry

The flea drops sold in petshops do not really work do they .... so this is not good news no

Is it just my Vet having this rule or is it all over the country?
Back to top Go down
gemini

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Thu 10 Jun 2010, 14:20

Are the ones you get from the vet Frontline Caz? They seem to be the most popular flea treatment. If so it seems very strange that the vet will only sell them if he's seen the cat within the last 12 months. Seems to me like he's doing himself out of business. Not sure what our vet does because I never buy it from him because he's too expensive!

After all you can buy the drops online, and I also know that Asda and Pets at Home sell them. I agree that the normal supermarket ones (Bob Martin?) are rubbish, but Frontline is good stuff.
Back to top Go down
Caz

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Thu 10 Jun 2010, 14:25

gemini wrote:
Are the ones you get from the vet Frontline Caz?

After all you can buy the drops online, and I also know that Asda and Pets at Home sell them. I agree that the normal supermarket ones (Bob Martin?) are rubbish, but Frontline is good stuff.

Yes, our Vet supplies the Frontline ones.

I didn't realise that you could buy Frontline online or in Supermarkets - thanks for letting me know. (are they the same strength as the the ones that the Vet issues)?
Back to top Go down
gemini

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Thu 10 Jun 2010, 14:30

Yes they're exactly the same Caz. I know Asda have them at £14 for 3 pipettes. I bought mine from Vet UK online and they cost £19.39 for 6 pipettes.
Back to top Go down
Caz

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Thu 10 Jun 2010, 14:46

Thanks Gemini - I cannot for the life of me remember what I pay the Vet .....

£19.39 sounds very reasonable for six Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gemini

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Thu 10 Jun 2010, 14:56

VetUK are brilliant. I ordered Monday and they were delivered Wednesday, with free postage smile
Back to top Go down
Caz

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Thu 10 Jun 2010, 15:00

gemini wrote:
VetUK are brilliant. I ordered Monday and they were delivered Wednesday, with free postage smile

Right .... my next order will be with them - thanks everyone
Back to top Go down
Yorkshirerose
Top Cat
Top Cat

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Fri 11 Jun 2010, 08:32

Wow thanks for the website Gemini

Caz the lady on the phone asked how long ago it was they had been and where they up to date with vaccines. They so it wasnt a problem but not sure what she would have done if they weren't.

Good news is tomorrow is f-day hehe.

THe vet said every month during summer and then every other month during winter.
Back to top Go down
gemini

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Fri 11 Jun 2010, 08:36

Yorkshirerose wrote:

THe vet said every month during summer and then every other month during winter.

That would work out far too expensive for me - £20 per month eek! So I do them every other month in summer and every 3 months in winter. Works for me!!
Back to top Go down
Yorkshirerose
Top Cat
Top Cat

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Fri 11 Jun 2010, 18:06

Well i dont want to take the chance with the monsters now so will do as the vet says but will try and leave a bigger gap each time.
Back to top Go down
Yorkshirerose
Top Cat
Top Cat

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Sun 13 Jun 2010, 11:29

Well we did it and how much easier was that then trying to do the blooming spray.

We have gone through with the lice comb today and got a few dead ones out Georgie did have a live one but it was very slow and couldnt jump. Woohoo think we have solved the problem

Thanks for the advice everyone. x
Back to top Go down
gemini

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Sun 13 Jun 2010, 18:01

Brilliant news. I hope Georgie and Jerry appreciate all the trouble you've gone to!!
Back to top Go down
Yorkshirerose
Top Cat
Top Cat

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   Mon 14 Jun 2010, 08:37

gemini wrote:
Brilliant news. I hope Georgie and Jerry appreciate all the trouble you've gone to!!

Lol not sure if they did or not but Georgie seems alot happier. Jerry did appriciate the fact he was allowed bacck in the bed again this morning. lol
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Defleeing   

Back to top Go down

Defleeing

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Purrs'n'Whiskers :: Cat Chat :: Cat Care -