Purrs'n'Whiskers - The Cat Lovers' Guide To The Feline Universe

PortalPortal  HomeHome  RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ  Log in  WebsiteWebsite  

Need Some Advice

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
mrsmarple
Top Cat
Top Cat

PostSubject: Need Some Advice   Sat 25 Jan 2014, 11:08

We've had workmen in for the last couple of months off and on but mostly on and the days they're here I've been putting the girls in our room with dry food in the bedroom and a litter box in our bathroom.  We've done this quite a few times over the years and it's not been a problem and if they're away for a few days I take everything out.  Miss Marple sleeps all day and night on our bed anyhow it's her usual spot, but doesn't like it when she has to go in with the door closed, but the minute they arrive she goes under the duvet and comes out when they leave, although if I go in to see them she will come out and eat a bit and use the litter box.

I feel better with them in our room especially if I'm at work.  There is a problem dog in the neighborhood and she attacks cats and kills chicken so with the workmen in and out all day and leaving the front door open at times, she has previously come in.     

A few days ago and again last night Marple (pretty sure it's her) has  gone into the bathroom and used the floor where the litter box has been.  Just a wee, but still not good.   She's not done it before so don't know how to deal with it.  Maybe I should have never put the litter box in there but wanted her and Blinx to be comfortable and they can be in there from 8 until about 5 so a long day without it.   Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Flower Girl
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Advice   Sat 25 Jan 2014, 15:46

It sounds to me like the stress may be getting to her.  We've had times over the years when our girls have gone in strange places, completely opposite to their normal daily routine.

I would do the same as you, Mrsmarple, and shut them in the room while the workmen are visiting.  We will have to face something similar later this year when we do our kitchen but I've got it all planned for the cats, plus I'm at home all day so they should be okay.  Daisy is like Miss Marple in that she hides under the duvet when she's scared (and everything scares her lol).

Do you have a feliway diffuser plugged in your bedroom?  If you haven't, I would strongly recommend putting one in. 

Also, and I know it's not the usual place for it, how about adding an extra litter tray to the bathroom, so the cats have two?  Just for the short term, while you have the builders in and for a short time afterwards, just so the cats have some continuity.  You could then remove the second tray when you're happy that they are no longer stressed.

Hope this helps.  Give Miss Marple and Blinx cuddles from me. xxx
Back to top Go down
http://purrsnwhiskers.co.uk
mrsmarple
Top Cat
Top Cat

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Advice   Sat 25 Jan 2014, 19:31

Thanks so much Flowergirl, good advice.

We have a diffuser some where just need to get a refill.  She was really twitchy the other day when I carried her up.  I was home so decided to leave the door open and Blinx was in the living room with me.   Some of the workmen I trust to close the door behind them and some I don't. 

I will see how she goes tonight and if she does it again I will put it back until the workmen are long gone. 

How exciting to get your kitchen done! 

Marple and Blinx say thanks for the cuddles.  XX
Back to top Go down
Flower Girl
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Advice   Sun 26 Jan 2014, 17:16

How'd it go last night Mrsmarple?
Back to top Go down
http://purrsnwhiskers.co.uk
mrsmarple
Top Cat
Top Cat

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Advice   Sun 26 Jan 2014, 18:21

No mishaps last night Flowergirl thanks.   very happy about that.   Workmen coming tomorrow for just a few hours so will put them in our room and maybe not put the litter box back in?
Back to top Go down
gemini

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Advice   Sun 26 Jan 2014, 18:51

I think Flowergirl has given you great advice.  I think the extra litter tray is a great idea.  I think you did the right thing locking them in your room.  I would have done the same.  Fingers crossed the problem will be sorted out soon.
Back to top Go down
mrsmarple
Top Cat
Top Cat

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Advice   Mon 27 Jan 2014, 07:10

Thanks Gemini, 2 nights with no litter box in room and no mishaps, so here's hoping.
Back to top Go down

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need Some Advice   

Back to top Go down

Need Some Advice

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum: You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Purrs'n'Whiskers :: Cat Chat :: Cat Care -